Thursday, September 01, 2005

Hurricane Fatigue

I have to admit that up until recently I haven't been following the New Orleans hurricane devistation too closely. Firstly, I just don't follow current events as closely as I used to. Plus, I'm so used to the media hyping up hurricanes like this that always happen... it's kind of a 'never cry wolf' complex.
But wow... reading over the last couple of days its hard not to have your mind blown by the devastation of a city that size. And now, the only people left, and the only people effected, are the poorest of the poor... that's what struck me today. And the fact that it takes the largest natural disaster in American history for the American news media to pay any attention at all to poverty, and those that are poor.
Then there are the "lucky" ones who got out, who stayed at hotels and are running out of money fast. Thousands who are quickly becoming nomads out of a Steinbeck novel.

The other thing I think about... geez, this'll probably put a damper on Mardi Gras this year...
I was going to post this great picture I found in the Globe today of a guy with a shotgun, who works at a bar in New Orleans and takes his shotgun to work in order to keep the bar open (now that's dedication) - but I couldn't find it online.
So, instead I'll post something a little more uplifting... If I was in Spain, I could be at the Tomatina festival, covered in tomatoes. Awesome.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home