Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Scrabblicious!

Phew, it's been a busy week and a bit since my last post. I'll start with my weekend... I got off work on Saturday at 4pm, came home to eat dinner, then it was time for the fifth and deciding game of my scrabble series with J. To recap
: the series began at the cottage back the first week of August with a friendly game, which J won. Being a gentlemanly sort, he allowed me a rematch, which I won. Shortly upon our return to Toronto, we played what was meant to be the rubber match... I won by a small margin, but didn't feel as though such a victory was satisfying, due to its close margin and a couple of questionable turns. So, I offered to continue the series into 5 games. J repaid me for my kindness by kicking my ass solidly in game 4 - our first 3 games were all decided by less than 10 points and were evenly matched throughout... game 4 J won by, like, 30 or 40 points. So, it was on to game 5... below is a photo essay detailing the evening.

Left: J unzips his travel scrabble set, where it all began at the cottage, and home of the holy score sheets.

Right: The sacred documents of game 1-4.


























Above: me reinacting my despondent face after game 4.






















The last few moves were the most tense... going into the final couple of moves, J had a solid, pretty much insurmountable lead; I had an "A" left, and I had pretty much conceded victory to J. BUT... at the last minute, I found a place to place it - spelling "MA" & "AX", a 13 point play! Which gave me the lead... victory was now mine! HOWEVER... J had different plans, placing an "F" on a double letter score to spell "FOR" - a 10 point play! giving him the lead! BUT WAIT... it's still not over.... because J had one extra tile, and I had none, meaning the 1 point value of his letter gets added to my score and subtracted to mine... making the game a perfect TIE! But, the scrabble rule book has something to say about that too... as the photo above demonstrates, the player who has the highest point total before the extra tile scoring is calculated wins in case of a tie... Thus, J emerged victorious.

Right after that intense scrabble match, I went to this crazy retro 80's dance party thing which I would never normally go to, but a bunch of Gleaner (community newspapers I used to work for) folks were there who I don't see often enough. It was really fun, and I got way too drunk, stayed out to 3am, only having to wake up at 8am the next morning because I'd told Andria that I'd go to Paws in the Park with her in the morning. Which was fun, even with my hangover in the rain. I got home, slept for a couple of hours, just to go out again for dj night. Which was fun, although a little quiet cuz it was raining so much. But DJ Short Pants (aka my brother, who's going to hate that I called him that) was really good... next time he dj's, you suckers who stayed home had better come.

With all that going on during my weekend, I can't even remember right now how I spent last week... oh yeah, I got posters done for Bedhead... check 'em out on a lamp post near you.

Speaking of crazyness, I'm currently functioning on almost no sleep again today, after yet another crazy night last night. But crazy in a different way. A good way... That I'm afraid to jinx by writing about it. Sorry... maybe next time.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the SCRABBLE MONSTER!!!!!

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home