Monday, May 28, 2007

How to be Entertained

Not too much to report with me. To be honest, I'm not sure where the past week or so has gone. I've watched a bunch of movies, drank a bunch of beers, applied for a bunch of jobs up north, and tried to organize a bunch of my stuff for my impending arctic adventure.

One of the highlights of the week was Tuesday, when I went to see the Gillian Welch & Bright Eyes show at Massey Hall. It was great. Gillian and her collaborator David Rawlings played an acoustic set with just their two guitars, with mostly songs off of Revelator. Bright Eyes, on the other hand, had a fairly ornate band in place, with a string section and two drummers (both girl drummers, who always rule way harder). They played mostly songs off their newest, but
played them well, and threw in a few older favourites for good measure. The highlight of the night was towards the end when the Bright Eyes band accompanied Gillian as she played her song Look at Miss Ohio.

In regards to movies, I went to see Inland Empire, the new David Lynch film. If you can call it a film, since it doesn't have a plot, and I'm not sure it has characters either. I do know that it was three hours long, and Laura Dern is a really good actress (even though I'm not sure what role she was supposed to be playing, exactly). Ryan and I have taken to punctuating our conversations with the phrase, "well, at least we're not watching Inland Empire." Because it really does mess with you.

I've also been spending alot of time sitting in parks or on my porch, enjoying the weather and reading. I just finished reading How to be Idle by Tom Hodgkinson, editor of the magazine The Idler. It's a great read, and I highly recommend it. In addtion to giving some great, intelligent excuses for being lazy, it also makes an argument against our society's frenetic drive towards overwork and consumption. The book gave me an idea to start a political party, called the Idleness Party of Canada. Its main goal would be a 30 hour work week. Unfortunately, some people in BC beat me to the idea: www.worklessparty.org

Oh, and last, but certainly not least, I made a strawberry shortcake:



2 Comments:

Blogger Kate Nova said...

That's one sweet lookin' cake.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Dooner said...

I'll make one for you too, when I get to Iqaluit. (Although I'd imagine it'll likely cost about 4 times as much to make.)

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home