Monday, August 28, 2006

Sausalito Mojito Burrito... Oh, San Francisco

Some journal scribbling from my wanderings.

"Aug. 27 - 4:30pm

I've stopped for a cappuccino in the SoMa (South of Market area) neighbourhood, on my way back from seeing a Giants game. As I was standing in line to buy a ticket, this guy in a Cinncinnati Reds cap came by and asked if anyone needed just a single ticket. He didn't even want money for it- he just had an extra ticket to give away. Sweet! So, I got in for free, to see baseball in a real ballpark, with real grass and views of the Bay. Like so much else in San Francisco, it's so beautiful it almost brings tears to your eyes. Especially after seeing so many games at the concrete bunker that my beloved Blue Jays play at. Unfortunately, I forgot my camera, but it really is as neat as it looks on TV, with Kayakers and other boaters haning out in the Bay waiting to fetch home runs, and lots of space to chill out near the water when you're not in your seat.
I was thinking about taking this ghost tour tonight, but I'm pretty tired. I might just chill out at the hostel... I have to book my plane ticket online, and I wanna book a tour of wine country tomorrow, which'll mean getting up early."

"Aug. 28 - 9pm

After a day of serious walking, I'm finally getting a chance to sit down and chill. I'm at a vegetarian restaurant right now ('Herbivore'), right near my hotel... why do I ever even leave this neighbourhood? Today I walked from my hostel, past Mission Delores, through Haight Ashbury, and then all the way through Golden Gate Park to the coast, where I took off my shoes and waded into the ocean. It was a long trip, but well worth it; walking across town like that reminded me of driving across the continent: long, filled with worry and weariness, but also with untold surprise and satisfaction and calm at the end. I really do wish I'd biked it, though, as I had originally planned. However, after putting off my wine country trip until tomorrow, I slept in way later than I intended, and I felt that it wouldn't be worth my daily bike rental dollar. So, off I go, walking way more than a normal sane person would consider. After getting to the coast, I wanted to take transit back, but i also wanted to check out Presidio too, another big park around the Golden Gate bridge. On the transit map, it looked as though by taking a couple of different buses I could go through it, and pass near the water, so I tried doing that. Unfortunately the one I hopped on short turned when it got to the park, The bus that properly went through went in a loop, not going the way I thought it would, and only every half-hour. I decided to walk even more, which wasn't such a good idea, since it took me about an hour to get out of the park (it's huge!), and it was starting to get dark. It is cool in the Presidio woods, though - I had to idea there was so much forested parkland in San Francisco.
Although i'm tired now, earlier, especially while walking through town and along Haight, I was telling myself how desperately I wanted to stay in this town and never leave, and I'm sure I'll feel that way tomorrow too."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home